It’s a sobering thought that around 70% of the UK population do not have a Will in place.
If you die ‘intestate’ without leaving a Will it can result in an uncertain future for your family and your wishes may not be carried out. A carefully prepared Will, can ensure your beneficiaries receive exactly what you want them to receive.
It is a common belief that husbands and wives are automatically entitled to inherit from each other but this is not the case. By putting your Will in place you can leave your estate to your partner and those people you want to benefit, excluding those you do not want to leave anything to. In addition, you can appoint guardians of your choosing for any children you have under the age of 18, ensuring they are with the people you want them to be with should anything happen to you. You can also make bequests to those charities close to your heart.
We make the process of setting up your Will as straight forward as possible for you with these simple steps:
- Consider what arrangements you would like to make in your Will, noting down all your assets to be included in the Will and the people it will cover.
- Arrange an appointment to set up your Will. This can be done either in our offices, or over the telephone.
- We take your instructions for your Will including how your estate is to be dealt with, the beneficiaries of the estate and other provisions you wish to be included in your Will.
- A draft of the Will is issued to you for review which once finalised, we draw up ready for signing.
- You need to come into our offices and sign your Will. It is a legal requirement you sign this in the presence of two independent witnesses which we will arrange.
- Only then will you pay for your will, the cost being £95 for a basic single will or £180 for a basic Mirror will.
- Your Will is then complete and can be filed until required or reviewed.
I already have a will?
If you already have a Will, please consider when you initially wrote or last updated this Will. It may no longer be relevant due to changes in family circumstances and is unlikely to take account of changes in legislation. Wills should be reviewed on a regular basis and we can assist you with this.
You have complete peace of mind when setting up your Will as we specialise in this and are members of the Institute of Professional Will Writers. This means we have passed an examination to prove our knowledge and expertise, we also undertake regular refresher training to ensure we keep up to date with any changes in legislation. We operate within a Strict Code of Practice, approved by the Office of Fair Trading, which includes a 7 day cooling off period and an independent complaints procedure. You receive details of our fees in advance so there are no surprises and we provide you with a comprehensive, professional service of the highest standard at a reasonable cost.